The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
72timemachine

Anyone know if an '82 factory 12 bolt limited slip has anything metric about it?

I'm looking to build a '72 5 lug factory 12 bolt limited slip rear end. My friend has an '82 limited slip rear end he will give me out of his diesel c10. Strange thing I encountered last night was when I took an '82 lug nut and tried to thread it onto the '72 lug stud. It did not want to thread on, felt as though it was going to cross-thread, however, when I put the lug nut on backwards, it threaded on fine until it hit the taper or front of the lug nut. The '72 lug nut threaded on the '82 lug stud just fine and with no slop. What's up with that?

I was hoping to use those axles unless I can simply switch the lugs studs from the '72 over the the '82 axles. The '72 rear end was in a dump bed and the person destroyed everything inside by hitting the front pinion yoke which caused the seal to leak. It turned the remaining gear lube into a thick metallic pudding. Clearly I have to remove all the internals, races and all, chemically clean it and start from zero.

Main question is, will I be able to use the limited slip carrier out of the '82 and install it into my '72 housing? If so, I would have to get a different ring and pinion gear, such as a 3.73 because the '82 has a 2.73 set up when I looked at the numbers stamped on the ring gear, 15, 41.

Thanks for any help it is much appreciated.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote