The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2004, 04:09 AM   #1
1987SierraClassic

Filler neck hose mystery

I'm begining to think that my truck is the poster child for obosolete parts!
The setup of my fuel filler seemed to baffle the guy at the Chevy parts counter.
1987 Long bed, fleetside, 16 gal tank on each side.

Here's the setup -- From the tank there is a short piece of 1-3/4" fuel hose molded at about a 30° angle. This attaches to a metal tube which extends toward the general vacinity of the fuel door with a 90° bend. Then another short section of 1-3/4" hose connects that to the filler neck that mounts to the side of the bed (fleetside). The vent hose parallels this setup with 5/8" hose/pipe/hose. The last section of the vent hose is sharply bent/molded at 90° and attaches to the filler pipe.
ALL the GM listings show rubber from the filler neck all the way to the tank. The only listing my parts man could find that listed upper and lower hose sections was for a 3/4-ton Stepside ?!?! Discontinued, of course.
I've tried LMC - Same as Chevy Dealer.
The rubber sections aren't cracked or rotted and I could reuse them, but I'm putting in new tanks and figured if I could get the parts I'd use new stuff.

Anyone else have this setup or know where I can get the molded pieces? I got straight hose from the local NAPA, but the 5/8 hose won't make the tight bend needed without kinking.

Many thanks!

1987SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote