The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2004, 02:26 AM   #1
OG lil E

It's low, but I have problems..................

Well, after months and months of saving money and parts collecting, I finally got my '79 Chevy lowered. I ended up replacing everything. The upper and lower A-arms were rusted and had holes in them, so I had some junkyard A-arms powder coated. I also had Bell Tech 3 inch spindles and Summit 3 inch drop springs powder coated as well. All the bushings, tie rods, bearings, rotors, calipers, etc, etc were replaced. We decided to cut and re-weld the A-arms so it would align correctly, and while we were at it, we eliminated the bumpstops and their brackets. Out back we did a flip kit and C notches. It lowered the back quite a bit, but it still isn't low enough. I'll probably end up bagging the rear, but that is another story. A friend of mine did the install, and he did a great job. It drives beautifully, and rides pretty good considering how low it is. The problem I'm having is when I turn. If I turn too sharply, the lower A-arm rubs the wheel lip and almost makes the truck come to a stop, and the noise is terrible! I know you may say don't turn so sharply, but making turns is a pain. Even negotiating the aisles in the parking lot at the super market is rough. I've been taking the corners wide, but I'm afraid if a cop sees me I'll get a ticket. I've tried grinding on the A-arm, but I don't want to go too far. I've also hammered on them a little bit, but it still hits. I also tried some wheel spacers, but they didn't help either. One guy I talked to suggested going with a deeper reversed wheel. Anyone tried this? I just want to make sure it will work before I buy more rims. Oh, I almost forgot--I'm running stock 15 inch wheels. I know that going up in wheel size would eliminate the problem, but I like the 15s. I've hardly driven the truck since all the work was done because it is hard to drive this way. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! E
OG lil E is offline   Reply With Quote