The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
truck1974

Longhorn or what do I have?

I recently bought a 1969 GMC 3500 1 ton Dually. It currently has a homemade flat bed on it. It has a straight six, 292 i believe. Eaton rear with unknown gear ratio. 4spd with granny low, 2 wheel drive.

What I was wondering was what came on these trucks from the factory? Did it come with a flat bed or no box at all. Mine has the 133 inch wheel base. Is this considered a Longhorn model? Was it set up fpr a 9 ft box or flat bed? Just looking for any info about these models. What they were used for etc. I bought the truck for $600.00. It runs but the water pump is going out and the motor is running poorly, seems like it might be missing. The brakes are also poor at best. I was considering a small block or big block V8 but I don't know how much I want to stick in this truck. And I'm thinking the rear Eaton axle probably has 4.56 gears so that would probably have to be changed out to run a different motor without getting 6 miles to the gallon.

I've also entertained the thought of a 4wd Dually or coverting the truck to a single wheel 4x4 1 ton or a car hauler. All would probably cost alot of money to convert.
I'm currenly trying to finish a Pro Street Vega so money is tight. I just saw the price of this thing and I've always liked the body style so I had to buy it.

I guess I was just looking for some input on what was different on my GMC 3500 series regarding the body and frame compared to 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy and gmc trucks. What do you guys thing I should do with it? Thanks for taking the time to listen to my ramblings.

Matt.
truck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote