The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

1406 Question

Finally got my truck out of paint! Drove her home with no front/rear glass. Rain was threatening... On the drive home there was a consistent hesitatation of idle, on part throttle acceleration. Step in it a bit more she smoothed out fine. Read every thing I could find on the search. Most of the stuff seemed to be "running too rich" posts. Re-read carb owners manual.

Truck has following: 10"? Air filter, 1406, 3/4"-1"? wood spacer, performer manifold. New Goodwrench crate motor with stock cam, HEI, accel wires, forget plugs but they are Delcos gapped to .045, cheapie flowtech headers, 700R4 with 3:73 diff.. Nice smooth idle @750 timed to 8 btdc. cheapie Autozone electric fuel pump supposedly rated 4-5psi.

As mentioned everything is brand new. Have not tried to tune anything beyond timing and idle. I found this tid-bit in the carb owners manual: CALIBRATING THE PUMP

If you encounter any hesitations or stumbles that do not seem to be related to the basic metering or have not responded to changes in the basic metering, move the pump drive link to one of the holes closer to the carburetor body. This will increase the stroke length of the plunger and result in more pump delivery.

Am I heading in the right direction here? I gotta concentrate on the glass first to get her road-worthy, but the carb is running a close 2nd.

any input appreciated. Oh, pics soon when rain lets up!
Rich