The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #1
earlysecond

Newbie with questions

Hi everybody,

I am a new guy to the board. Currently I am in search of a 4X4 pickup. I am pretty fresh off of a frame off resification (restoration with some modifications) of a 1970 Camaro and have valued the help of the folks at nastyz28.com for years.

I recently found a 1968 K 20 for sale locally. I need some help so that I know what to look for (problem areas) and a rough guide to price. The truck is rough and while I am confident that I could probably restore is, I am not sure if I want to commit the time or money to a major project right now. It looks as if the only parts on this truck that are positively good are: The front clip (fenders need work) the cab (which is pretty solid) and the frame, axles and transfer case and tranny (4 speed).

This truck would need some major metal and I have some questions as to how good the frame is. I could post pictures if it would help a bunch. The bed IS shot. The guy claims that the 327 quit running about 4 years ago. After reading some of the posts on the board I am really worried about finding suspension and especially brake components (read drums) I am probably not confident enough to do a disc conversion but it is not out of the question. I will USE the truck for hunting, fishing, possibly towing and firewood, mulch etc. I would build my favorite chev small block, a 383 (same as the Camaro only built for truck use) and set the numbers match 327 aside for later.

The '68 is being sold with a complete '66 frame and driveline (non running 283) transfer case, same 4 speed, and both axles. It is a package deal and the guy will not sell it separate. Since the '66 is a former generation truck I was not sure how much use the extra roller would be for parts?

I could email pictures if anyone can help.

Thanks in Advance from a Newbie
Brent
earlysecond is offline   Reply With Quote