The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2004, 03:45 PM   #25
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiesys
Drum brakes, no AC hmm

The paint job alone had to be at least 3 or 4 grand by itself, if the motor runs good and the tranny is in good shape, the truck would probably be worth the nearly 5K for the rims/airbag system/drivetrain alone, then you can gut the interior for the good bits, even if the body is a bondo pile the 5K is probably still not that bad of an investment IF the motor and tranny are solid, if the rear is posi trac/etc.

My wife came home the other day "there's a truck up by mom's for sale just like yours only finished" so I went to take a look. Looked good as we pulled in, popped the hood - no AC not a deal braker of course but just a big check against. 350 motor, forgive me I'm a big block fan, again no deal breaker, a solid 350 is nothing to scoff at. Clean interior. Started looking at the paint.... Lotsa rust underneath the pretty blue paint, bottom of the doors, behind the rear wheels, the spray on liner was looking like it might have quite a bit of rust underneath... I gave it a pass didn't even call to see how much they wanted.

Guess I'll keep working on mine, big block, factory air, no real rust on the inside, some on the outside in the normal spots.

Im in the process of restoring my truck and one thing that boggles me is ..... why would you put such an expensive paint job on a bad body?

When i took my cab off the frame my body guy gave me my options and it seemed incredibly stupid to paint it in its current condition so i had them take the cab down to the metal and ended up replacing both doors and had it all done right. It just didnt make any sense to spend big $ on a paint job if you know it wont look good when it is done or that it would need to be redone in a few years because of too much bondo but i guess not everyone sees things the same as me.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote