The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

Has anybody ever......

Has anybody ever had a headgasket go bad where the coolant slowly blows out with the exhaust? I'm thinking this is what is probably wrong with mine. There are no visual leaks anywhere running or not running but it slowly looses coolant. Can anybody give me a good idea for testing this? My only idea it to pull the plugs and then put a coolant system pressure tester on it and pump it up to see if coolant comes out of the spark plug holes. That and does anybody have a really clearcut symptom for a bad timing chain. Mine has been running like crud here lately and the carb i got is maybe a yr old and i always check it to see if its adjusted correctly. The wires, plugs, and distributor are maybe a yr to yr 1/2 old tops. What i get is sometimes its hard to start up like its flooding. When it finally starts it is really choppy and i'll hear almost small pops. I had a cam go flat one time and it almost sounded like some of these small pops. With a bad timing chain is your overall engine running quality very inconsistent? some times mine will run like sh!t and then the next day it will run like a champ. The reason I'm asking is because last time i took off the water it was like opening up pandora's box. You can read this http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...591#post796591 and thats why i don't want to take off the water pump to get to the timing chain if i don't have to.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote