The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
shortymac83
hmm...

build me a stump puller

Since I'm going to be completely restoring this truck, I figure, why not go with a hot motor to give it something a bit different? I want to keep the 250 in there, but I'd like to see 200 RWHP and over 300 lb-ft. is this unreasonable for a street motor? I'd like to see the torque as low as possible. Granted, it won't be a daily driver, but I'd like to be able to get it on the highway and see 2500-3000 miles a year on this. Just for the heck of it, let's put a ceiling of $5,000 on this. Stock block and crank would be preferable, but the sky's the limit when it comes to camshafts and compression. Granted, it'll have a 4bbl carb and long tube headers, but I don't know what kind of cam or what kind of compression it should use. Also, if it's going to be built like this, what kind of electric ignition should I use? I'd like to use a quadrajet for the carb, with a 1" tall adapter on a squarebore offy intake. The reason for the qjet is its efficient fuel metering coupled to the HUGE secondaries and balls out 750 cfm performance.

A bit about the vehicle overall: truck is a 67 C10 with no options, so vacuum is not an issue, nor is any accessory driven stuff, because PS isn't there to worry about. Exhaust will be straight pipes with no mufflers. If it DOES have muffs, it'll be getting either bassani or flowmaster mufflers. Transmission will be a 3 speed manual, and the rearend will be the stock 10 bolt with 3.08 or 3.23 gears. This truck needs to be able to be cold started in the winter (should we ever need to move it), and it should be able to idle all day in traffic at under 200*.

This is a very long term project (the body and suspension is getting done first, then the motor), but I want to get something on paper so I have a plan and can start collecting parts now.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote