The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
71400lb
71400lb

Are my brakes working?????

Here's the situation...previous owner installed a Crane Cams Canister back-up booster for the brakes. He told me that if ever the main brakes fail, the back-up would get you home until you fixed the main brakes.

Lately, unless I'm just used to my other car, when I stomp on the truck's brakes, it slows down quicly, but the wheels certainly don't lock up. I stomp on the brakes as hard as I can and the wheels never lock up!

My question is this; does this sound normal for these trucks to have brakes that don't lock up? Or is it possible that the main brakes aren't working and I'm only using the Crane Cams back-up system when I hit the brakes? If I hit the brakes that hard on my 67 Chrysler 300 you'd be thrown through the windshield!

I believe they are power brakes, since it has a big booster can behind the dual master cylinder resevoirs.

Thanks,

Rick
1971 Cheyenne C/20 Long Bed 2 whl drv
400/400 Turbo
3.73/Open
71400lb is offline   Reply With Quote