The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

She's parked.

Well, i had to make the call. Red has been running like terds for a month or so, and getting worse. Been missing real bad, has gotten so bad it won't idle even after up to full operating temp. Ain't holding oil pressure like it should, especially in the cold and with 10w30. Much lower than it usually is for some reason. Guess 'cause of poor idle. Our first guess is the distributor cap and plug wires/plugs cause this thing eats em, and i just put all that stuff on new in Aug. And this cold weather isn't helping, with a rigged up manual choke that i don't bother with, it bogs in the cold, adding to the hastle. Undriveable below 55 degrees. The missing has gotten so bad it sounds like when we had 2 plugwires backwards for like 30 seconds, like a lumpy cam. Sounds horrible, especially through that rotten muffler and clogged up cat. Its gettin too much. The carb is toast, outta adjustment, float sticks, won't start for sh!t. I'm going through a tank a gas a week with average driving, something we can't afford in the first place. Brake pads been squealin', gonna need new pads before much longer, hasn't had a brake job since before i started driving it. And i learned to drive on it, and i already gave my sis a few lessons on her.

So, this afternoon, i gave her a good long ride, and I parked her in front of the shed (pictured in my avatar) so my parent's vehicles aren't blocked. Set the parking brake, and cleaned her out. I don't know how long itll be like this, me and my dad might play with everything when it warms up this weekend, so it could be i bring Red back to life this weekend, or it could be Easter. Or later. We got the timing set, might tackle that and the electrical crap, and a battery this weekend, but that's money we don't have. Also got radiator hoses, and antifreeze, and i'll get belts too. The shotgun approach has always worked in the past, no sense in doin' any different. I've spent close to a grand so far on parts, and i'm no closer than where i started.
Kinda disheartening. My truck is most of my life, and putting her to rest; it isn't right. of course ill crank her on sunday afternoons, tool around the block, but i think its the end of daily driving.

Well, that's my rant for the time being, i guess. Sorry to bring anyone down to my little world I'll still fumble around here, and maybe learn even more while i wait. And keep that pride.

Cliff
"Shadow On The Sun" - Audioslave
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord

Last edited by cliffsta; 01-19-2005 at 12:06 AM.
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote