The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
COBALT

Lost my brakes while driving yesterday...

I never want to do that again. I was suddenly in deep sh!t yesterday in heavy traffic. I was driving across the Aurora Bridge north of Seattle heading south (for anyone who doesn't live here it's a scary bridge to drive across where the lanes are too narrow and everyone drives 10-15 mph over the limit). I had to brake to make a sharp right turn that's notoriously hazardous. In the middle of braking I heard a pop and the brake pedal went to the floor. No brakes.

I managed to straighten out before smacking a guard rail, flip on my hazards, drop the truck into neutral, and coast off of the Dexter street exit using my E-brake to slow me down. Thank God no one in front of me was turning on that exit as well or I would have creamed them. I'm also happy I fixed the E-brake when I rebuilt the rear suspension last year.

Bottom line is I have two problems:

1. A leaky master cylinder. The booster has been causing me problems and I've been way too busy to get a new one and fix it right. The rear brake reservior turns out was empty. I have burned up fluid all over the front of the booster, and in the engine compartment.

2. After yesterday's festivities the front passenger wheel cylinder blew (hence no pressure), so the fluid in the front reservoir is just shooting all over the ground.

I had the truck towed to a local Les Schwab for a lack of a better place (and it was close). Before I let them touch it does anyone have a good brake place I could haul this truck to? I'll need new wheel cylinders, new shoes probably (all drum brakes), a new master cylinder and probably a proportioning valve. The lines look ok.

Any tips will be appreciated.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote