The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

Engine Problems with my '87 V10

Well, this has lately gotten much worse. I'll try to explain this the best I can. Here is my problem...

I go outside before school to start my truck to let it warm up. It starts up fine and idle's fine. I let it warm up for usually 10 minutes. I then leave my house but the darn thing will NOT move. I mean, it moves, but at a brisk pace of 15mph...25 mph tops. If I go anymore then 1/4 throttle, it starts to bog down and almost die unless I let off the gas and go back to idle. Even after driving a while to get it warmed up more, it still does this. As I am driving to school, I am TRYING to get up the hill (my HS is on the top of the biggest hill in town) and it stalls on me halfway up the hill. I stop, park it, restarts fine. I attempt it again, can't go over barely 1/4 throttle or it will die again. So I have to keep pumping the gas to get up this hill. Finally after 8 minutes of climbing, which should only take like 2 or 3 minutes, I get to the parking lot.

Now, I get out of school, go to start it, starts fine again and I let it warm for about 5 minutes. Going down the hill is no problem, just let it coast. LOL. So I get to the bottom at an intersection. I hit the gas to go and it stalls on me right in the middle of the intersection. I start it again and off I go at a heart racing 25 mph.

Sorry for the long story, but would anyone know what the problem would be? I'm already starting out with small things like new fuel filter, plugs, and wires. My truck is an '87 V10 Silverado 4x4 with a 305ci 5.0L V8.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Wertzy is offline   Reply With Quote