The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
rickstores69chev

Help transfer Case stuck in 2 wheel lo

Perhaps somebody will know or can help me.

I purchased a 1969 4x4 custom cab truck. The lady told me it had a new transmission but did not know why it would only go 50 mph. I drove it and could obviously tell it was in low range. I think it is jammed in 2wd lo. It is hard to get the details of the truck because the significant other who had the work done is no longer around. There is tranny fluid splattered all over the undercarriage. At first I thought maybe this was the problem with the low speed (low on tranny fluid becasue it was leaking out) until I drove it. It shifts through all 3 gears and reverse just fine Accept in low.

I tried to move the levers. The left lever would not move anywhere. The right lever would move backwards a notch which appeared to be neutral. The when pushed forward it would be in lo. I could not get it to move farther either direction to go into hi range.

Is the right lever engaged all the way forward HI range? Then one back towards seat is lo, then all the way back towards seat neutral? I Can only move it forward and backwards. When pushing lever forward it operates in lo range. When pulling back towards seat it is in neutral. The left lever is like froze. I could not make it move either way. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on here. She thought it was the tranny because she remembered the ex having to take the truck in twice because it had problems. They put another tranny in it the second time.

I can not imagine this is a tranny problem since it shifts in all gears. I think we have a transfer case problem. Although I am wondering about the red tranny fluid splatered on the under carriage. It is missing the Shield that covers the torque converter. One thought I had was that she drove the truck at 50 mph in lo range perhaps this got the fluids boiling out.

Let me know any thoughts on this. I am new to 4wd work.

Rick
rickstores69chev is offline   Reply With Quote