The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2005, 02:54 AM   #1
gconn77

1984 Chevy C-10 Carb Help Needed

This is a new thread moving on from:1984 Chevy C-10 Vacuum Hoses and PCV Questions.

Basically, I am moving onto the carb now. I am having trouble with it and have a few questions regarding it. First off, I want to post two pictures below. I have labeled each part with a Reference number. (Ref #A thru Ref #Q). If someone could, please name and identify all of these parts according to the reference number I have assigned them. You can click each of the two photos for a very large view:

When you post your responses, can you also tell me not only the names of these parts, but also what their function is.

The motor is very hard to start in the morning when it is cold. I have spent some time trying to get things proper with this truck and motor. Previous post (link is provided at top of this thread) I had problems with the vacuum lines and emissions. As it turned out, all the emission components were removed by previous owner(s). At any rate, I have the basic vacuum system hooked up fine now. I have the proper connections from the carb to the canister, PCV, etc. I have removed all the BOLT CAPed hoses with the prober rubber caps purchased at Advanced Auto. All is good in that department.

However, still have trouble with starting the motor in cold morning. Learning that my carb has also been rigged in someways. The photo below shows a tie wrap tied around something in the electric choke area. Click the image for a bigger size photo if needed:

I wanted to remove the tie wrap simply because I know the previous owner(s) installed this to try to rig out a solution to a problem that I obviously do not know about... I knew that if I cut the tie wrap off, then it would probably result in a problem that would need to be corrected. Needless to say, I DID remove the tie wrap and here is my problem.

Please view this photo below, click on it for bigger size if needed:

The tie wrap was holding REF #A down. After removing the tie wrap REF# A lifted up, which closes REF #C. Engine will not start with REF #A lifted up. Now I can push down on REF #A and it locks in place and stays down. However pushing on REF #B releases REF #A and REF #A lifts back up.

In addition to this finding I have also discovered another vacuum hose that is not connected. Please view the photo below, click on it for a larger image if needed:

In this photo you will see the vacuum line that was lying loose... just to mess around I pluged it into the port seen in the photo which is on the back of the carb. Please tell me where this hose is SUPPOSED to be connected. Remember, this hose was found lying loose... I just stuck it in the back of the carb to see what would happen... and nothing does.

Also, I can tell that REF #E is some kind of vacuum operated system.

I really appreciate your help in advanced. Also when referring to the reference numbers... please specify which A, B, and C you are talking about... A, B, and C are the only duplicated reference numbers illustrated.... so if you tell me what Ref #A is... besure to tell me which Ref #A you are talking about..

Thanks Again,
Garry
gconn77 is offline   Reply With Quote