The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Flame me please, I deserve it! Be gentle!

As most of you know I have been fighting a mysterious battery drain for a couple of weeks now. Well I found the drain and I am almost to embarrased to post out what the cause was.

I WAS THE PROBLEM ALL ALONG! ARGHHH!!

I feel like beating my head on a wall and probably should for being so stupid!

Here it is!! When I turned the key off, I was leaving it in the /ACC position instead of the /OFF position. There it is, as simple as that.

You might as why I was doing this? The only thing I can tell you is I was ignorant. I have had the truck less than a year and just didnt have the experience to realize my mistake.

You see the key cylinder/switch was so worn that the key could be pulled out at any position and as I found out today a (good) key switch must be pushed in and turned to get it into the /ACC position, well I didnt have to do that with my old one.

I thought the key switch my be shorted out so today I went to NAPA and bought a new key switch. After I installed it, I looked at my little test light and WALLA it wasnt on. I then went to take out the key and NOTICED that the key didnt turn to the same position my old key switch used to. I then put 2 and 2 together and slammed the palm of my hand into my forhead.

Go ahead /FLAME ON
Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote