The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up meeting up with members...road trips, and truck parts!

IN the morning I'll be hopping into a buddy's truck, and he'll be haulin my truckless rear up to Kalamazoo Michigan.
Some of the long time members will remember Jeff....Protrucks. he is basicly an inactive member. He pops on from time to tiem to look around, but never has much to say.
Well this man has some sweet trucks, and a real cool twin turbo project/time killer, a flatbed GMC that was kinda slapped together from spare parts, and a real clean green and white 3/4 ton which is dismantled for paint.
The cool thing is, he runs most of his stuff on propane. He has forgotten more about propane than most of us know at this moment.
His parts stash is something else. Last time i was up there (about 2 1/2 years ago) he had gobs of sweet parts. And among them was a 71/72 longhorn chassis and bed.
I went up there to get a blown up caddy 472 from him...a parts engine if you will. It was pretty much just scrap to him, and giving something away to some one who needs it is always better than just throwing it away, so he told me to come up and get it.
I saw the longhorn bed, and struck a deal with him, and he said he'd store it for me, and I expected to be back in the spring. Well, crap happens, then money ends up tight, then I have the cash but no ride, then i have no computer acces due to a nut case wife...
Real nice bed from what i can remember....real straight, fairly rust free...but lots of trim holes to fill. Green and white like longhorn jeff's rig if memory serves.
Here is Jeff's truck for those who don't know....

Well, he says now...just come get it out of my yard. You can HAVE the bed, but you'll have to take the chassis with it.

OK...I can do that. Had to pull some strings....some favors here, and labor there, but I managed to bum a ride north for gas money, and the use of a trailer form another guy... and we are leavin in the morning.

For some reason...I expect it to be a disaster...maybe becouse my road trips are normally in junkers....I blew about 12 qts of oil out a blown intake gasket last time i went there. But I made it though.

Plannin on hookin up with another member....and getting my cab out of his yard.
Fine69 has been awsome...letting me store my cab over there at his place for a little over 2 years now. Even thoguh he wanted it out a while ago, he saw I wasn't really able to, and put it on the back burner. Never havin the cash to give him sor storage...and he never asked for any, nor would he have taken it if I had offered, I have given him some nice to have items for his shop in payment for the PITA my junk has been. But, now I have a chassis to place it on and a storage unit to push it all into.

Interesting, I'll have a rolling chassis, with a bed, and a cab, with a fender or two sitting beside it....almost sounds like another project huh?

Well...I am rambling, and it is late.
Anyone who has my cell number (the one ending in 7816) please feel free to call. I'll be on the road by the time most of you wake up, and I may not be home untill after 9 or so at night.

Pics to follow....and Dubie...I haven't forgotten the flat bed...I'll attack that one with my digi-cam for you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote