The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Thumbs up THANK YOU! "New" Engine is running!

It fired up! WOOT!

I finished putting a rebuilt L6/250 in the truck today (finally), put a new clutch, harmonic balancer and rebuilt carb in the process. I have several leftover parts including: engines mounts, alternator bracket, ignition coil bracket, intake manifold, half-used clutch assembly (minus the bearing!!) and a few others. If you know anyone in dire need, let me know and I'll contribute (Sorry for taking too long, Robby )

I could have never done this without feedback from several members here, and I want to extend a personal thanks to all of you who chipped in. I would have literally been floundering if the following people hadn't chipped in their 2¢:

TX Firefighter
bigjim
Longhorn Man
CPNE
Gee Emm
CE20934
Fred T
67ChevyRedneck
Palf70Step
jjk3
'68OrangeSunshine

If I forgot anyone, sorry

So, if anyone wants a heads-up...

The engine fired up without any issue. It's tough to turn that key the first time (I was nervous as hell and not confident in my abilities), but ... it fired up like a champ! The only problem that arose was a minor water leak from not torquing down the thermostat housing enough. Engine runs fine and ... MAN! The three on the tree is like ... wow, it's a massive difference. I can actually feel the gears now and the clutch feels like it exists again.

Only problem thus far is the truck is running a little rough on startup and needs a little gas till it warms up - I think part of this is timing and part of it is the carb. I was confused about adjustments on the carbouretor and think I helped a little, not sure. I think I might need to carry it into an ASE mechanic for fine-tuning. Anyone know of a good place in the Atlanta area to do this work? I'd prefer something inside the city limits (southwest side of town, near the capitol bldg, close to where I-20 and I-75/I-85 meet).

Again - THANKS guys. I couldn't have learned more about my truck than tearing the original engine out and sticking a new one in. I can't wait to ship off the original motor to be cleaned and machined so I can put it all back together again.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote