The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My Tank Turn

I didn't feel like sanding and doing work on the stepbed yesterday, so I decided to mount the blazer tank on the 70. I was lucky since mine has the side mounted spare, I didn't have to worry about about cutting out the spare tire cross bracket. My tank is not an aftermarket, but out of a 72 blazer. Only reason I mention that is it seems to ahve some different shapes on the top of the tank. I had lost (or hid them real well) the mounting j-bolts, so I picked up a 3/8" threaded rod and cut four 7" lengths from it. I used a compression lock nut for the top and tack welded the nut on just to make me feel better about it. The longer bolts made working with the straps easier and I cut 3-4" off once it was installed

A couple of notes in case your a dumb@-- like me. Preshape the metal straps before you start. They don't form on their own very well. Also remember to but in your rubber or islolation material between the tank and the frame before you tighten down the bolts. I don't know what others used, but I had an old firewall wire trough that I cut in half and slid in.

I took the last shot to give you an idea how it hangs. From the bottom of the frame to bottom of tank is just under 8". Mine is not a lowered truck nor will be so I fell I have plenty of clearance. At stock height, the tansk sits just about even with the top of the axle. You can see in the forth picture the modification to the rear bed brace to clear the tank. I don't anticipate it being a problem, but I have some extrat braces I may run just forward of the tank If I think it is going to creat a problem.

Last note, if you are going to do this, do it before you pay for a nice exhaust. As you can see from the second picture, it is REAL close between my factory exhaust and the tank. I'm not worried as I'll be running a new exhaust later than exits to the side in from of the wheels.

Well I guess it's back to the bed so I can get it on and fab up the filler pipe for the new tank.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 03-27-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote