The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Hey Boss, let's shave'em

Tell me what you think of this idea:

I will be doing something a little different with my suicide doors than the usual put the latch in the door thing. I am going to build a housing similar to the one pictured below with the solenoid and latch inside for easy access when the solenoid goes out. I have been doing a lot of reading on the shaved door handle subject and have decided to mount some manually operated handles inside the cab. This is mainly for the security of having a way to open the door when the solenoid does go out. I am not as concerned about power failure as I am with solenoid failure. Besides…What are the chances of both solenoids going out at the same time? I may put an external cable underneath also… I haven’t decided.

The handles I have decided to use are 69-82 exterior corvette handles (the push down type). I plan on mounting them under the dash on each side of the cab. I can then fab up a cable to run inside steel brake line through the B pillar to actuate the latch… all concealed under the dash and behind the housing. So what do you think? Anybody have any detailed knowledge of the workings of these handles? I’ll be ordering some soon to see if I can make them work.
Attached Images

Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote