The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
jermasaurus

Made some good progress, and reccomend this swap

Well, I had been having problems with my TH350 like it would shift different every day, 3rd gear would seem like 5th in a manual trying to accelerate, and it wouldnt kick back down very easy either. I had already checked things like the modulator, govenor, fluid level, ...

On thursday, I lost every gear and the truck would barely move.
I had been interested in swapping a 700r4 in its place, and thought what better time than now? If anyone cares, It was a very direct swap. The only modification that had to be made was moving the crossmember back and drilling new holes. Same mounting for the T.V. cable, cooler lines, same yoke (86+ only I think).

The one thing that held me up and really sucked, was the yoke. Here I was thinking I had to get my driveshaft shortened because I couldnt plunge it into the trans far enough to get the U-joint past the pinion yoke. Upon closer inspection, I found that the trans yoke wasn't going in as far as it should. Under the perfect light I could see that the splines had the slightest twist to them, not allowing the yoke to slide all the way into the trans. Put a new one on and the legnth worked perfect.

So I think the death of my TH350 could have been because the yoke couldn't plunge when the suspension moved, causing it to just slam the ouput shaft in.

All in all I think it was well woth the time and effort. My only problem now is to get the speedo gear housing for a cable driven one instead of the electric one on there (cause it's from a 91).
-Jeremy

Last edited by jermasaurus; 05-21-2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: bad spelling
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote