The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
MARTINSR

I use a 3M disposable mask part number 7187. But don't take my word for it, let Eric post the particulars. THIS IS NOT A DUST MASK! It costs about $20.00. The ONLY reason I use the disposable one is that it fits under my welding helmet.

But I have to tell you, there is MORE to this than sticking a respirator on your face. First off, be sure it fits you well. Be sure you have NO FACIAL HAIR that could effect the seal. I have a small mustache that fits FULLY under the mask. If you can see any hair coming out from under your mask you are NOT getting a good seal and might as well not even be wearing it.

More cautions:

Wear a welding helmet when using the MIG. Don't let some fool tell you a pair of glasses is good enough. I work with a number of idiots who weld with sun glasses!!!!! Wear a WELDING HELMET with a number 10 shade at the very least. Check with the welding supply for the proper shade for you.

For sanding DO NOT use those old single strap dust masks, use the newer twin strap 07048 and 07185.

Get a number of pairs of ear muffs like 3M 07063. At the very least use the foam plugs in your ears. I personally have a number of pairs of the big ear muffs, they are very easy to put on even with gloves on. If you have to stop to remove gloves or tear open a little bag to put the foam ones on you will find yourself "cheating" for little jobs, this is a killer. All those little jobs add up! If you have a few pairs (or just one of course if that is all you need) you are less temped to do that "little job" without it. Wear these ear muffs when useing ANY air tool or blower! The high frequency sound of the air is very damaging to your upper end hearing. Huh? What was that? Yep, at 46 I have lost a lot of that hearing. And I started wearing ear muffs religously 20 years ago. I still have some pretty serious hearing loss. Believe me, when my wife wakes me up in the middle of the night and asks "What is that sound"? and I don't hear a thing, it isn't nice.

Get a number of pairs of goggles. At the very least the cheapie ones that are only a buck or two. If you have a number of pairs, aw, you know.

Don't ever, EVER think "I don't need my ear muffs, respirator, goggles it is only a small job". If you hear your self saying that, YOU KNOW YOU ARE WRONG. The next time any of you guys are doing a job and that thought goes thru your head, think of Eric, hear him saying YOU KNOW YOU ARE WRONG!

Eric, I hope you don't mind, I have printed out that photo along with your story and I will be showing it to the crew at work in todays production meeting. I then will post it by the time clock. Your words and that photo speak a thousand volumes more than my *****ing.

I would take a friggin ax to my car if I knew it could bring back my hearing and any other damage I have done to my body. Eric I'll bet would take an ax to a parking lot of cars down at Walmart and take the resposiblity with the law to boot if his health was returned to the way it was.

There is no paint job, weld, bondo job, car, truck or plane worth damaging your body over.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-25-2005 at 10:16 AM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote