The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
GlennBrittain

More 700R4 Progress and Problems

I finished the installation finally. As I said in the last post, my x member for the rear mount was of unknown origin, the mount would not fit. The stock mount was to wide, pushed the trany against the bottom of the truck, and still did not have room. Even if it had bolted up the x member would have prevented access to the pan bolts. I used a cut off wheel to cut the rubber off of the mount. Bolted the mount to the trany, bolted the x member to the frame in existing holes, lowered the trany down till the mount was resting on top the x member, with the x member back far enough to access the pan bolts, then welded the mount to the x member back edge of the mount only. On the TCI web site, they recommend not using a solid mount so I will have to fab an x member that I can use a stock mount on. The entire pressure test as directed by Bow Tie Overdrive went well, I still need to adjust to soften the first to second shift.
The bad news was pulled the truck into the shop, would not start again. I had reinstalled a MSD dizzy that was returned for repair. There was much activity performed changing dizzy’s and caps. I had the 9 volts at the coil when turning over the starter. Finally ran a hot wire; battery to coil and the truck started the first try. I found the wire was damaged under the insulation; only one stand of the wire was making continuity. This allowed the 9 volt reading but would not allow enough amperage to fire the coil.
I also have a problem with a tail shaft seal leaking and a temperature gauge to install.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote