The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
mrein3

Alternator Bracket Help

Last summer/fall I rebuilt/stroked the 350 out of the Monte I junked a few years ago. I put the resulting 383 in place of the overly tired 350 in my truck.

Now my truck was a pure mutt when I got it. 1970 cab and bed. 1971 chassis. Mid to late 70s 350 truck block. 1968 (golden anniversary) seat. 3-speed on the column, manual in front of a np205. 2bbl factory looking carb and intake.

Basically somebody walked through a junk yard and assembled my truck.

Which leads to my problems.

I forgot I used to have troubles with my alternator bracket mounting bolts breaking off - until this past Thursday. On the way to a bass club tournament the bolt I circled on the right broke. In the past the other one usually broke.

Since I just spent a bunch of money on the 383, the manual to auto tranny swap, 2-row to 4-row radiator, and converting the cab to AC from non-AC, I want to get these dumb brackets straightened out.

I think, like the rest of the truck, the brackets are an assortment assembled by some ambitious cowboy who had access to a junk yard. (I bought the truck from my friend who lives in Wyoming who sort of knows the person who built it - I have nothing against cowboys.)

The alternator I think is correct for a 69-72, short water pump truck. I think the power steering pump and bracket is from something else. The bottom pulleys, a two groove in front of another two groove, wobble. If they are correct I need new ones. This past weekend I took everything off the front and started the engine. The new harmonic balancer doesn't wobble. When I bolt the four bottom pulleys on with nothing attached to them they wobble.

So the help I need is:
1. Are those bottom pulleys correct?
2. Is the alternator bracket assmebly correct?
3. Power steering - is that correct?

The first picture is of the darn bolts that shear off.
The second shows the bottom pulleys from the driver's side.
The third shows the bottom pulleys from the passenger side.
The fourth shows parts of the AC brackets I've installed.
The fifth shows a closeup of my 71 Chevelle convertable. It has AC but the brackets are swapped side-to-side and it uses the long water pump. I have a complete set of these pulleys and accessories from the Monte I could use. All I would need to do is get a new, long water pump, bolt everything on, then deal with the fan shroud being too long, the bottom AC bracket not working with factory 4x4 exhaust manifolds, and having to find AC hoses (which probably would work off of my A-bodies). I bolted the Monte bottom pulley on when I was messing around this past weekend and it doesn't wobble. However I'd like to stay stock so I can finish the AC job with stock components. Help.
Attached Images

Center City, MN

Last edited by mrein3; 06-07-2005 at 10:14 PM. Reason: forgot to click upload on the pictures
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote