The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

Unhappy HELP! Truck won't stop (starter stays on)! *Update*

I am having a problem with my truck, and I'm stumped:

This morning, I started my truck and drove to daycare with no problems. After I came back out, I started the truck and the starter kept turning after the engine had come on. I turned the key off and on a couple of times and it stopped. I decided to head back home and take my bike to work. When I got home, I decided to give the truck another try, so I turned it off, then restarted it. This time, the starter stayed on, but no amount of key wiggling would get it to disengage. Also, turning the key to "Off" didn't kill the engine. After about 30 seconds of this, I started to smell something very hot and electrical. I decided that letting my truck catch fire was a bad idea, so I ended up having to jump out and disconnect the neg terminal and pull the coil wire to get the engine to turn off.

The first thing I thought is that the ignition switch went bad, but I felt around and the switch and wires coming out the back weren't hot at all. If anybody has any ideas, I sure could use some help!

Thanks

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."

Last edited by jtminton; 06-14-2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Update
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote