The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
FrankHoy

Question 72 1/2 ton 4X4 questions

I am in the process of restoring a 72 Cheyenne Fleetside. I have two trucks that I am hoping to create one good 4X4 with.

Truck 1: 72 GMC 1/2 ton 4X4 350/auto PS/PB long bed, leaf rear springs

Truck 2: 72 Chevy Cheyenne 1/2 ton 2x4 402/auto PS/PB long bed, coil rear springs

My desire was to take the Chevy body, box, 402 and put into/on the GMC frame. I have found that the frame on the GMC has more rust than I care to try to fix.

So my questions:

Can I, somewhat easily(without cutting the 2X4 frame or similar modifications), take the transfer case, axles, springs, mounting brakets etc. from the GMC and use the 2x4 frame or are there major differences betwen the frames and I really need to find another 4X4 frame?

If I really need to stay with a 4x4 frame, are there differences in years or perhaps better asked, what years will work? I "know" that the power steering gear box is supposedly different on the 72, than some of the earlier years, but not sure what is different about it (internal workings or bolt on application). If it is the "bolt on application", that makes me believe there may be differences in the earlier frames.

I know that they did not make a 4X4 with the 402 engine, are there problems or considerations, in relations to the engine installation?

With the exhaust on the 4X4, currently it is single, is it easy to convert to dual? If so, what is the typical path of the passenger side exhaust? I know the transfer case is in the path of how the 2X4 dual exhaust runs.

Anything else that I would need to consider in using the 2X4 frame?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]

Last edited by FrankHoy; 08-10-2002 at 11:13 AM.
FrankHoy is offline   Reply With Quote