The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Classic Auto Air (AC) is in! Review...

After talking with Vintage, Old Air, and Classic Auto Air I decided to go with the CAA kit for several reasons. They use a case that can be dis-assembled if service is required. They allowed me to use the variable compressor the LS1 motor is equipped with and retain the full warrenty on the CAA unit. They have a very attractive billet head unit for a mere $100 upgrade. Overall the install was a 3-8 hour job excluding my senario where I was integrating and building lines to use MY compressor (LS1).

Because of the tight fit inside the frame rails I had to change the location of the exit on the manifold for the liquid line. I basically TIG welded the old exit hole shut and then tapped and TIG welded the tube exiting perpendicular to the old location.

To make the billet head unit fit I had to cut an aluminum plate to hold the unit in the stock location and it looks great.

My cab was not a factory air cab so I had to cut the hole for the center vent which they supplied a drawing and it went in like butter.

I had origionally ordered the factory reproduction vents (another $99 upgrade) for the side vents but have decided to send them back and go with billet vents. I expect to have those installed next week.

Overall, it is a high quality kit and blows alot of volume from the Spal blower motor and it's VERY COLD. I still haven't measure the vent temps but I would guess they are in the 30-40 degree range. The entire kit is well designed and the only down side is the price tag.

I will take some better picture in the day sometime.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstGen; 06-23-2005 at 10:41 PM.
FirstGen is offline   Reply With Quote