The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

ready to build a new 4x4...suggestions?

im ready to build a new 4x4 and would appreciate some constructive input. it will be registered as a 68 4x4 3/4 ton long box. i really want the strength of the 3/4 ton or is that over kill for what i want to do with it?

first choice is the stock 68 3/4 chassis. i have some very nice 16x8 wheels i could use with this set up. i really dont want a sky high truck. any opinions on tire size? this rig will be for hauling and towing, not off roading. if i have to go with a small lift im ok with that. no disks with the stock 68 . ive heard good and bad on the stock style front end.

i also have a complete 71 4x4 1/2 ton chassis. with this i could transfer the 2.5 lift softride springs off my current ride, or just use the 3/4 ton springs off the 68 chassis?. also i would use my stock style rallies with the 33 x 12.50. i already have. would helper springs or helper air bags make this 1/2 ton as sturdy as the 3/4 ton?

what will i be carrying? loads of pavers and bricks, loads of drywall, loads of lumber, loads of top soil etc etc... or pulling my 61 lincoln on a car trailer or any other 67-72 trucks i cant live without.

as far as drivetrain it will be using the 71 transfer case and automatic tranny. i have a very nice professionally rebuilt 350 small block i can put in or i have a 68 427 4 bolt i can put in (not a tall deck). gas mileage isnt a consideration.

any suggestions on this build will be appreciated.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote