The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2002, 11:05 PM   #1
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

My first road trip in the 72...

I drove from Tampa to Cocoa Beach, basically straight across the state to attend my cousin wedding. I fgured this is the closest my all my relatives would be to my house at the same time, so i better show off the truck that they help to finance over the years. I had a 1 nite stop off at the G/F condo in Winter Haven and as i was gettin into the lane for the on ramp my driverside front tire blew out on me. the side wall seperated from the bead. Luckily i was right in front of a little gas/tire store, and bout a $35 used tire mounted and balanced. All my tires are 3 weeks old so i will be heading back to the store about that. But the whole way there there was a headwind and she didnt like anything over 65. You know when watchin top fuel dragsters as they are comin at you they ass ends of the cars tend to go side to side while they are making a pass. Well that is apparently a characteristic of the MTs as well. I was expecting but boy does it make changing lanes interesting. the rear end would break loose just for a second as i crossed over the line and ran over the reflectors on the road. It was the first time i had to whole heartedly have both hands on the wheel all the time to control b/c the frotn end likes to float too. But the truck handled better and better the more miles it logged. The whole way back i cuised 70 mph @2700 rpm using 3/4 of a tank of gas getting 9.3 mpg. I do though now know i need higher outout mids and tweeters, the sub are ok but at 70 mph the wind is and noise is so loud i had to turn it up to were the mids were very staticy. I coul fell the subs hit cuz they vibrated the cab, but could hear the lyrics. But i was very happy how she ran and feel alot more confident in taking her out for longer trips in the future.

Tire b4 it seperated
Attached Images

The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote