The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Lobo'74

Clutch Bad? :confused:

OK, I thought my 3 speed manual was bad, but sorta thought the clutch needed adjustment as it was starting to slip under heavy throttle. No clutch smell, but after a heavy throttle shift it takes a second before the transmission catches up to the engine.

Went into my Chilton's, and my Chevy Chassis Manual this morning to see how to adjust the clutch. When I looked at the mechanical linkage it looked like it was adjusted all the way out already. I took off the clutch return springs (PO put two on it) from the fork lever. Then I tried to adjust the end of the clutch rod at the forward end, next to the cross shaft lever (Chilton's calls it the lever and shaft assy). There were only about 4 threads showing on the clutch rod already, so there was nothing left to adjust to start with. Also, the 9/16" nuts are blocked out by the cross shaft lever and the headers so it would have been VERY difficult to reach had there been any adjustment left.

Next I went backwards to the fitting at the end of the clutch rod that mates to the end of the clutch fork lever. I was able to move that further out by about 1/4" (maybe). I then put more gear lube into the transmission (filled it at the side port until it started to drip out. It was low, but NOT anywhere near dry.

I reattached the two return springs (Why did PO put 2 on there? ? ? Its stiff !) and started it up. Previously I could NOT force it into reverse but could get it into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Now it flat WILL NOT go into reverse or first.

I'm thinking I need to put the fitting on the clutch fork lever back where it was (or move it into the rod a little more?) and see where it takes me. It seems to me that at both ends of the clutch rod the fittings are as far out as they can go. As I understand it, if the clutch is slipping in this condition its time for new clutch discs. Is that right?

I'd rather it just be a clutch than a bad transmission, but I'm still looking at the 4 speed for the future.
Lobo'74 is offline   Reply With Quote