The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
FrankHoy

72 4x4 converting to 700R4 problem

I have a question on converting a '72 4x4 to a 700R4.

I also posted this under the engine & driveline but thought that I might have better luck getting a response from someone with this conversion on this board.

I have read numerous threads on this conversion here and don't recall this ever being an issue or problem. Search sure would be nice right now

I have been doing a frame off and conversion and just put the motor and tranny into the finished frame. I am now having problems with the fit of the front driveshaft.

I am working with a 402 BB & NP205, adding in the 700R4 . Frame originally had a 350SB / 350Turbo / NP205. I am taking a 2WD BB cab & 402 and putting on the 4x4 frame with original NP205. Transmission/Tcase crossmember is in original position, with engine crossmember moved slightly ahead.

One variation I did make was change to a deep tranny pan.

The driveshaft has a regular u-joint with slip joint on end that is suppose to bolt to the front axle. It also has a constant velocity joint on the rear(I believe that's what they are called-"knuckle joint with two encased u-joints".) Attaching a picture of similar shaft.

Now the rear joint will not clear the corner of the tranny pan by the transfer case front output shaft. It does not appear that it would clear even with the original shallow pan.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can the drive shaft be flipped and have the knuckle joint on the front or must it be on the rear? Can the knuckle be converted to a regular u-joint? Other possibilites?

All help & suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

00 Blazer
FrankHoy is offline   Reply With Quote