The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Slammed '87

Laying Rocker? an other 73-87 ?'s

ok, first off, i know all the info is prolly here sumwhere but it gets really confusing when u have a million posts with a million people sayin whats what. Right!? OK, first ? What is the rocker? I know its the lowest part of the body (er i think), On these trucks theres a one inch lip that hangs down. I am close to laying "rocker" but when i look at piks that are body dropped, with the front an rear bumper on the ground, that one inch lip "rocker" is gone. (see piks 1-2 below) Is that still considered laying rocker, or body, or the same???

Ok now, i want to be as low as that orange body dropped truck (or really close to), without a body drop, but on 17" rims an low profile tires (prolly 245/40/17's), is that possible? I am about 2" from laying "rocker" in the front of my truck now, and i figure if i do a 2" x-member mod with airride strong arms an of course modify my steering linkage etc i should be really close!? OR should i go with a 3" Z?, i'd prefer not to do the Z if i don't have to, but ....whatever it takes. Does adding the control arms give me any more drop ie; lower spring cups, or do i even use them?, can i cut them down?.....

This guy?... (see pic 3 primered truck with moons below) i believe did a 3" Z an thats it, no body drop. He is running 15" rims, but with huge whities. They, i assume are taller than my 17's will be, so that's why i am thinkin i can do it!?

When i did the suspension i have now, i screwed up! i hate to say it but being a newbie, i guess it happens. In the rear of my ride i went with a 6.5" step notch, figuring that'd be lots, knowing i was only gonna go with 17" rims. I measured everything like 20 times too! My plan was to lay rear bumper when layed out. BUT, because the front of my truck was still sitting about 3" to high, thats what screwed me up. When you bring one end down, like a teeter todder, it raises the other end up. When aired out my rear bumper is bout 2" from ground. Neway, i have to redo the whole rearend from scratch, starting from enlarging my step notch, to relocating the 4 link etc.....NEWAY. i have the rear all figured out now, thats easy, but the front is another issue. I wanna make sure i do it right the first time! Any info is is appreciated and to those who i stole your piks from, i hope you don't mind,they make me drool everytime i look at em, an i am sure many others too!! Cheers!...
Attached Images

Last edited by Slammed '87; 08-17-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Slammed '87 is offline   Reply With Quote