The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

drilled through my finger

Well, this happened a few weeks ago but I'll throw it out there for giggles.
I was replacing the 6x9 speakers in the doors on my '67 and the previous owner had these long phillips-head screws with nuts on the backside holding them in. Well, they were so old that the nuts were rusted to the screws, and the head of the screws were all stripping out on me. SON-OF-A-BI$*@!!!
So I said screw it. I'll just drill the heads off. So I break out the drill and I have my right arm stuffed into the door panel with a open-end wrench to hold the nut to prevent spinning. Got a few done, no problem. I'm on the last one on the pass door-panel and it's the furthest to reach, on the bottom. My arm is stretched as far as it'll go and I'm holding onto my little wrench and start drilling away. Well, that head busts off and I was pushing so hard that when it went through the head I lost my balance ( I was on my knees) and the drill shifted and went right through the tip of my index finger about halfway to the first knuckle. OOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! I yanked back so fast that I also cut up my forearm on the way out of the door. Ok, so now my finger is bleeding profusely and I go to the laundry sink in the garage and start rinsing. It looks like hamburger meat and hurts like nothing I've felt before. (geez, it's only a finger!!) Luckily I'm not squeemish, so I go inside and call the wife. "Honey can you get me a band-aid?" her: "what happened?" me: "I just drilled through my finger" her: "What?!?! Are you ok??!!!" me: "Yeah, but how 'bout that band-aid..." So she brings it over and I show her. "OH MY GOD!! WE NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL!!" me: "no, what are they gonna do, give me 1 friggin stitch?? That'll be $350.00 sir." yeah, that's not happening. So I pop a few Advil, clean it all out and stuff my skin back in the hole (picture a hole in wood when the shavings get all wrapped up at the top) throw some Neosporin on it and wrap it up.
3 weeks later and the scab is gone, the bone is pretty much healed and I'm starting to re-gain some feeling in the tip of my finger. Hopefully it'll fully come back but I'm sure I toasted a bunch of nerves.

Moral of the story? Wear gloves. Preferably chain-mail gloves.....