The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #1
Sp00ks65

65 step lwb frame off resto

I started my frame off restoration on my 65 about a month ago. I've owned the truck for probably 10 yrs and a restoration was always the plan but I drove the truck for a long time and parked it in the garage about 3 yrs ago.

All I have to say is sandblasting is a PITA... I am almost done taking the frame down. While working on the frame, my son is working on the cab. The cab is in a little worse shape than I originally thought. It shouldn't be anything we can't deal with. I have also discovered I need to get a blast cabnet to recycle all that media. That stuff gets expensive. I am on the 5th bag and not done with the frame yet.

Anyway, I have the 283 rebuilt, balanced, bored .060 over, etc. I"m working on aquiring the parts for ps, pb (disks), auto column, etc. besides the remainder of the tools needed to complete the project. I am having a little trouble finding a good donor truck actually.

I think we are making pretty good progress considering we are only a month into it. Everything is disassembled, the frame is almost complete with sandblasting and the cab is nearly down to bare metal on the outside. It is almost time to break out the primer

This messageboard appears to be a pretty good resource and I'm sure I'll plenty of questions in the near future. Thanks for all the good info guys.
Sp00ks65 is offline   Reply With Quote