The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Electric Fan placement opinions

Hey guys!

I'm setting my truck up with some electric fans, and I need some placement advice.

Basically, I need to know which side I should be putting the big fan on, driver's side, or passenger's side.

I am assuming that the hot coolant comes out of the top of the engine, into the rad and then is sucked back in the bottom side, so I'd figure that a guy would want to put the big fan on the driver's side where the inlet is, and put the little fan down by the pass side, where the coolant exits.

Sound good?

PS, the fans I am using are from two different chevy cars, one is from a 90s buick lesabre, with a 3.8, and the other is from what appears to be a mid 80s Nova. I think that chances are, I should be ok with just the big fan alone, as it is bigger, and has a steeper pitch to the blades than the stock fan was / had, but I want to put the little one on both for athetics, and for a backup if the big one fails for some reason. The little one is the same size as the 305 TPI Trans Am fans, and the big one is a little bit larger than the stock clutch fan.

Both fans have their own mini-shroud, but I intend to install the stock fan shroud (if it'll still clear the TPI MAF ducting) both to protect fingers, and to provide my place to store tools again, lol

Also would help with making sure that the air is directed properly at higher speeds, rather than just fluffing off wherever it wanted to go after it passed through the electric fan shroud.