The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Steering rebuild parts question

Okay, so I'm breaking down and going for it. Kudos to the people who said I would end up doing it even though I swore I wouldn't in a previous post.

In the process of my GenIII swap, the front clip came off. I got to looking at it and next the manual gearbox and pitman arm came off. I had a well-used power gearbox laying around, so I core'd it and bought a rebuilt one ($160). Bought a new pitman arm for $29.

Then I sat down and really started looking at things and realized....hell. I got half the truck torn apart and the center link and tie rods are right there and the idler arm is also there....might as well spend another $100, yank the center link and replace the idler arm and tie rods and all the bushings.

I don't want to do the ball joints or anything else, just the steering for now. I'm doing suspension mods later and I'll just replace it all then.

Who sells a kit with all the bushings I need? I would also like to find a good place to buy all new Moog tie rods and idler arm (per suggestion from cableguy0)

If anyone can help, thanks!

A big picture of my setup (200k): http://satellitehead.com/uploads/framerails05.jpg

Oh wait - where can I get a steering coupler? I bent mine taking it off the old gearbox.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 10-05-2005 at 05:47 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote