The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Ochre

Cancer plan of attack?

Ok, so like just about everyone else here, my blazer has cancer in the usual spots.

Right now, I'm looking at replacing/repairing the rocker boxes, inner rockers, outer rockers, lower door skins, front lower bedside panels, kick panels, rear bed floor, and a portion of the floor to the back and left of the drivers seat. Beyond that, the rear wheel radius's have some small holes, but those aren't as high of a priority to fix. Sometime mid-next summer I'm hoping to have the time and funds to completely spray the rust-repaired tub, so I'm currently developing a long-term plan of attack to repair this truck.

What I was thinking was this, let me know if you guys see any faults with this plan:

Start by removing rusty material from the rear bed floor, and patch that whole area. Move to the front lower bedside area, and install a patch panel there. Remove the DS inner/outer rocker (whats left anyway) and patch the floor there, then move forward to the kick panel area and fix the bottom of the kick panel and where the floor meets the kick panel, then move outwards to the inner/outer rocker.

Repeat the same on the passenger side, except for the rear floor repair (which isn't rusty on the PS). Move to the rear wheel wells and radius's, install patch panels as necessary. Replace the windshield frame while the tub is still on the frame.

Pull body mounts, and weld in new front and rear cab supports. With the body off the frame (or at least a few feet above it on some wooden blocks) repair/replace the rocker box assemblies, and replace the bowed tailgate.

Clean up the whole underside of the K5 tub, Por-15 everything down below, and spray in a semi-gloss black. sand, prime, finish, spray color (leaning towards a dark blue) and spray clear.

Let me know what you guys think of this plan of attack. Since this is longer-term, plan on everything being blasted in primer once finished, before the next job gets started, and everything being sanded to bare metal before the final primer coat gets sprayed and finished out.

Now, a couple questions -
1) what is a good seam sealer to use?
2) can I get by with a good mig welder doing plug welds, or should I invest in one of those spot/resistance welders?
3) any links/pics of where and how I should remove the rocker boxes? I have some idea of what *should* be there but want to be sure before I bust out the plasma cutter & rotozip...
4) LMC lists 2 types of cab supports, a slip over & OEM replacement..which is better?

Last edited by Ochre; 10-27-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Ochre is offline   Reply With Quote