The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
crosby

is anything fixable? 72 K20 project nearby

Hi guys. Near where I work, there has been a fairly rotted 72 K20 which looks to be on a newer frame (73-87). I can only guess. Where the cab meets the frame, there is some additional metal welded in there, so that it looks like the cab is bolted directly to the frame. What a mess! The cab looks fairly solid, with the usual floor and rocker rot. I plan on buying a MIG welder and learning how to weld on either my 77 stepside, or something like this 72. I would much rather build a 72 on top of my 77s frame, and build a stepside. For an amateur, is it really possible to replace most everything, or what? I have put together a few cars, but never learned how to weld yet. Could I just cut out the mess, and basically put it back to right? I know a few guys here have put older cabs on the newer frames with some success. The 72 is real cheap (of course), which puts it almost into my ballpark. What do you all think? Or should I just be reasonable? Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote