The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
matt67350

FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! Fuel filter NO! NO!

Well it started with a great day. Went to the barn to meet a boardmember that bought a swb frame. On the way my 67swb starts to run bad.
I'm on I-20 going West between Ft. Worth and Weatherford. If I can just find a auto parts store I'll be ok. Well that was an adventure all it's self.
Anyway, I find a NAPA auto and limp in. I find that the fuel pump has decided
that it wants no more, and kills over. I place a call to fellow board member
TxFirefighter, and he drives 30min to help. (WHAT A GUY!) NAPA had the fuel pump I needed and a bolt to help on the change out. They even let me borrow some tools for the job. TxFirefighter (AKA Kevin) pointed out that the glass fuel filter I had installed needed to be removed and the fuel line repalced also. Well I just need the truck to run so I could make the appt.
FYI. Glass fuel filter and bad hose are not the formula for a great runnng truck. On with the pump and truck was running good.
Make the swb frame swap, truck still running good, THEN, just like before, the truck felt like the fuel pump stopped working. Popped the hood to take a look. Fuel is leaking out the glass fuel filter. So I look around and find a building supply store. Surely they have something that may work to replace the fuel filter, too get home. After talking to the guy there we found a 3/8 nipple that would take the place of the fuel filter. I go to replace the glass fuel filter and the thing just comes apart in my hands. GAS!! spewing all over a hot motor, and on my hands and shirt. (Incert cheep Key Stone Cop Joke!)
I'm sure the people driving by are still talking about the a$$H@># Jumping and running around a truck like a fool. Boy that was me! I have never seen so much fuel at one time. All I could do was try to stop the leak. Nothing was working. I ran to remove the fuel cap too take the pressure of the tank, grabbed a cloth in the back of the truck to keep the fuel off the hot exaust manifold., and still the fuel was runnng out. then it hit me. I may be looking at a fireball, and there is a burn ban in the county I'm in, then this image of TxFirefighter starts saying "that fuel filter and hose needs replaced". All this happend in just a few seconds. I could have burned my truck and myself to the ground. I said all that to say this. If your running a glass fuel filter and bad hoses, replace them NOW!!!! Don't waite till you get a chance.

What really happened to the truck? I think that the fuel pump did bite the big one. When I replaced the fuel pump, well the pressure is greater to the carb now. The cheap glass fuel filter and hose didn't want to take the extra load, so they started to leak. When I touched the filter it just came apart enough to spray fuel all over the place. I may have a problem with the needle and seat in the carb also. I have purchased a new metal filter, fuel line, carb kit, and a fire extinguisher for the truck.

Ya'll laugh now,
Matthew