The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Krue would be Proud!!

Well I got out to the shop today and did some truck work finally. I made a cab stand and rigged up, redneck 2x4 (hi-tech though) style, a cab lift. First off, I stink at wood work, even simple things like this stand, but it came out OK.

Two real flaws. First, the rear supports are 4" higher than the front, soooo...... when you measure for height based on the rear....then if you forget to add the 8" for the wheels and bottom 2x4...you end up with a cab stand that is a bit higher than planned on. I am going to go back later and drop it about a foot and it'll be just right I think. I don't have a welder heavy enough the fancy cab lifter for an engine lift, so I came up with my own 2x4 technology idea. I probably didn't need to take the drivers door off, but it made it easier to maneuver the thing.

Krue, I don't know when you mentioned it, but thanks for the pointer about the front being heavy. Even all the way forward it was way lopsided. I remembered your comments and used a tie down from the arm of the engine hoist to the steering colum support and it leveled it out fine.

Now I can strip the suspension pieces off the frame, slide the frame out of the shop and bring the 69 in for its engine and other swap out stuff.

Oh yeah, another note about the cab support. if, you are doing the cab swap yourself, you'll need some weight to hold the cart flat while the cab comes down on it. My daughter just pulled in the driveway at the right time and was my draftee to help me finish lowering the cab on the stand.

Give you an idea of my height boo-boo, my daughter is 5'4".

Once I get the frame out I can work on the cab and hopefully still drive the 69 (after engine swap) until I have the cab ready to go.

Now on to Santa stuff.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-24-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote