The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
BigBrown

backfiring, finding TDC

Hello- This is my first time working on a non-subaru, and I'm stuck in the middle of the tune up from he**. I have a '70 C10 with the 350. It was converted to HEI before I bought it. I put in new plugs (NGK's), rotor, cap, coil, wires. Now my truck won't start, it cranks, sporatically backfires and will on ocassion send some flames out the carb.

I tripple checked my firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, with #1 being bottom left, right? The rotor and cap only go on in one direction, so I can't screw that up.

So I thought I would check my timing, but it doesn't start, so I was going to try to find TDC manually, but I can't figure out how to turn the crankshaft. There is no central nut on it, and the three small bolts would rather come out than turn the pully. I thought about taking the pully off and seeing what's behind it, but I can't figure out how to get the belt off. I feel really stupid...there are only three pullys on it, waterpump, crank, and power steering. The wp and crank can't be moved, so it must be the ps, but I can't figure out how to do it.

So, either how do I take off my drive belt, or am I missing the easy answer?

Thanks!
BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote