The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Drove my project home last nite for inspection

Last nite, I drove the 1967 4x4 white beast home for the first time, and started it in the cold this morning. I noticed lots of things I never had before. Tell me what you think
It has bias-ply knobby tires on right now and has been sitting for some time, so I expect some bumping, and rough ride. What I hadn't quite expected was a lot of what felt like bump-steer. The P/O let me know that it needs tie-rod ends. Could this be the source of the bumpy steering or the tires, or big problems.
I noticed small rust holes under each of the vent opeinings, uncovered more rust in the bed, and rocker panels. I haven't peeled back the rubber mat and sound deadener, but expect to see more rust there. The floor feel solid, but that is not the same as rust free.
The clutch seems to engage all at once. I have lots of pedal travel, but at one point, there doesn't seem to be any slipping, just engaged. I drove my dads 71 k10 for years, and don't remember the clutch acting like this. This morning in the cold, I had a hard time getting it to shift into neutral. I could get it in all 4 gears, and reverse, but when I let the clutch out in neutral, the engine lugged down. Cold gear lube? Transmission problem?
The truck drives fine in 1st (granny) and 2nd, but has a miss, and it is dreadfully noticable in 3rd, and 4th. I expect that I'm just at too low of an RPM, and this amplifies the effects of the miss. Truck has set for 1+ years, so it is possible that I have fowled plug, or bad wire. Just haven't gotten to that yet.
The arrangment is $1000 for a running pickup. The P/O has replaced the mastercylinder, and put in a new starter to get it to the point it is right now. Do you think I'm getting in over my head or thowing my money away? I've told my wife that if I buy the truck, and find it has more that I can fix, I'll put it on e-bay. Do you think I could make my money back?

More pics including build sticker

Thank in advance.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis

Last edited by boundstaffpress; 01-13-2006 at 12:37 PM.
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote