The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Peregrine

Truck caught on fire. :(

I was on I-64 eastbound and got off at Hurstborne. While I was going down the long ramp my truck was sputtering and while I was about to merge onto the road the engine died. Well this is pretty much normal because I have a Holley on it and the weather has been wacky lately so I just chalked it up to that. I pulled over and tried to crank it over once or twice. After it didn’t start I figured I’d let it sit there for a little bit and try in a few minutes because it’d worked before. All of a sudden I smelled this funny smell and was like “crap, that smells like smoke.” I got out and opened the hood and the whole passenger side valve cover was covered in flames. I shut the hood, called 911 and while I was on the phone got into my glove compartment to get my insurance, registration and school parking permit. I had the thought go through my head that I didn’t want to go through the paperwork to get another permit. I went to the side of the road and called my parents. Some friends saw my truck when they drove by and stopped and gave me their jackets to keep warm. The fire department arrived and proceeded to show ignorance of opening a older cars hood and crow bared my grill to open the hood. After it was out we figured out that the braded fuel line that splits the fuel supply between the primary and secondary fuel bowls had split and spewed fuel onto the distributor and then the firewall. This explains the blue flame coming out of my defroster vents. I called a roll back and now my truck sits in my back yard with pealed paint, ruined grill and soggy interior. I’m going to have to go to the insurance company tomorrow and see what I can get out of it. I’ll probably buy it back from them and part it out. This sucks. What’s weird though is for the past month I’ve feared that it would catch on fire for some reason or some other horrible thing would happen to it. Standing on the side of the road watching all of my fathers and I hard work go up in flames and be pried open was the most sickening feeling I’ve ever felt. I’m still in shock. It also sucks that that one braded line was the one thing we hadn’t touched because it was factory and I had no reason to question its stability. Now I get to play the "what was it worth" game with Allstate.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote