The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
bcolli3
'72 4x4 fireburb

NuB restore cont.

Sold on the 350, mostly because of the universal use, I wont get in as much trouble searching for parts. I got a quote today for $3.6k for a balanced rebuilt and I thought it was a bit high, especially when I would be swapping heads. Not to mention head machining to replace the old steel valve guides made in lead gas (read higher octane) days that ping under load. While I haven't seen much about this, I have been told that the ping isn't just pre-ignition, but the valve guides melting onto the valves and then breaking free (oww!!).
Also, learning more about sheetmetal. Apparently OE and NOS are just as good as original metal in terms of thickness and nickel content. Any suggestions on bodyparts distributors?
While I'm at it, I thought a set of headers would top it off pretty nice, so again, if you've had good luck and like the guys @ a certain place, I'd appreciate the tip and they would the business. Thanks again.
'88 F-150 - for sale
bcolli3 is offline   Reply With Quote