The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
The Cheyenne Kid

72 cheyenne dream

Howdy all,

I’m the new kid in town (Pardon the pun. I can’t believe that name was available). I would like to ask ya’ll’s advice on my winter, now spring project.

Here’s what I got:

Mr. Green Jeans – 1971 Custom Deluxe C20 with newer 350 and new T350 (slated for my 80 CJ7) A/C cab (basically junk). Truck converted to a dually with the lowest geared rear end I’ve ever driven. 54 +/- MPH at 3000 RPM (500 something?), Trailing arm suspension and a flatbed. Gets 6-7 MPG. I drove this rolling pile of junk from Houston to Salt Lake City pulling a 4 horse trailer full of tools and with the bed stacked cab high with more junk and a John boat. I looked like Jed Clampet except none of the family would ride with me. If I can find a picture I’ll post it.

The Great Pumpkin – 1972 Custom K20, 350 and 465/NP205, Eaton rear, Dana 44(?) front, Spicer manual hubs. Non a/c cab (heavy rust in windshield frame, rockers and passenger floor pan). Gets 6.5-7 MPG. Bought in Seattle and drove to SLC with very little problem.

Blue Bell – 1972 Cheyenne Super Camper Special C20, 402 BB and 400T. 4:10 rear, factory heavy duty springs, a/c, tilt cruise, aux fuel tank …etc. (no vacuum gauge or tach. Why would someone order all this stuff and then skimp on a tach?) 99% complete. Rusty doors, cab corners, rockers (in & out), and all cab supports. Older repaint. Gets 10 MPG with stuck choke and need of tune up. Bought locally. Think tranny needs fluid change, filter, bands tightened.

The Dream:

Black Beauty - 1972 Cheyenne Super Camper Special 402 BB, 4X4, 4sp or 400T, dually w/ flatbed, 4” lift, aux. fuel tank, a/c, cruise, power locks/windows, tilt, Black on black, 10 + MPG.

Senerios:

1. Pull Cheyenne front clip and cab off and set on 4x4 frame (Labor intensive disconnecting wiring, a/c …etc. but, will allow for detailed painting)

Set 402 in 4X4 frame (New mounts? Body lift? Shift motor forward? Bigger radiator (use AT radiator?)?....etc?)

(Mount Clutch pedal in AT cab and cut hole in firewall for clutch rod, mount linkage assembly…etc?)

2. Pull 4X4 running gear off 4X4 frame

Remove front rear 2WD suspension

Mount 4X4 axels, springs, tranfercase

Cut holes in hump for shifter(s)

Misc?

A. Convert NP 205 and T400 to be compatible ( X-member(s), adaptors, machine work, yoke changes, output shaft change, possible tranny rebuild or sell existing and buy different)

B. Install manual tranny/tranfercase (Mount Clutch pedal in AT cab and cut hole in firewall for clutch rod, mount linkage assembly…etc?)

Misc?

I’m open for any and all suggestions, comments, direction and/or additional info. I’ve read through most of the archived comments on the web page but didn’t see this exact set up.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Cheyenne Kid; 02-17-2006 at 02:19 AM.
The Cheyenne Kid is offline   Reply With Quote