The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

1972 Suburban fuel tank pricing and a lesson

There is a lesson to be learned here.....but first....who has the best price on a fuel tank for a 1972 Suburban....steel or polly?

The lesson here is.......NEVER install a new fuel tank sending unit without testing it!!!! Now most of you will say...what a fool!?!?!?! Well.....I know we all use a multimeter and check the sending unit by raising the arm. But......how many of us test the BRAND NEW FLOAT on the BRAND NEW UNIT to see if it has pin holes before we install it??????? Gotcha there didnt I !!!!

After installing the new sending unit and driving it for a day the guage stopped working. I had to drop the tank 2 more times to figure out what was wrong. A FLOAT THAT WONT FLOAT. The sad part of this whole science project is the tank developed several pin hioles itself after all the up and down and now leaks faster than I can say J.B.Weld.

Needless to say I will never be using a factory looking float agin.
Plastic for me!!!!!!!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote