The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
TP from Cntl PA

Got my '72 K-20 home.....

I bought a '72 K-20 on ebay in Utah awhile back and had it trucked here to PA. Of-course it was sight unseen other than pictures I recieved. I have bought tractors in the past sight unseen and they turned out to be as good, if not better than expected when I got them. This truck however turned out to be in a bit worse of shape than shown in the pictures.....

The Good.
-Knaphide look alike stake body was infact almost new(New IMO)
-4x4 chassis was in awesome shape(Never seen any that nice here in PA that haven't been restored)
-Two Aluminum underbed tool boxes near new
-gooseneck ball installed right
-Axles appear to have been swapped, ran 65 mph home at 3000 rpm which isn't bad IMO.
-has 7 blade RV female plug for trailers which I use on my other trucks(Don't have to change it

The Bad
-Engine runs a bit rough and will need some attention
-Advertised as a 454, but I am not 100% sure as it came from GM with a 350 will have to investigate as it could be a 396/402
-Clutch is stiff, I suspect the linkage needs attention
-SM465 instead of 420 tranny as listed(Can live with it), and it shifts rough
-T-case shifts darn hard, have to investigate here too.
-Someone went at one of the hubs with a pair of pliers
-Cab a bit more rusted than shown in the pictures when you start poking around with a screw driver

The Ugly
-Patched area above the windsheild is totally rotted which was covered up and never disclosed to me

I have $3600 total in it so far, which is ok as I am looking at what the new stake body would cost(It will probably end up on my C-20 Cummins truck). But had I known about the rusted area I probably would have paid less for it. I don't know anyone with a Big Block Chevy around here and was anxious to try it out. Honestly, so far I am not impressed with it. I ran some of the same hills with my trusty '69 GMC with the V-6 and ran just as fast partially loaded(Could be gearing too) but it didn't seem to have the low end I expected. Does anyone tow a gooseneck with a BBC truck and how does it run?

I'll see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow............I like to hear whether I got taken to the cleaners or not. I hid the truck in the shed once I got it home, but plan to clean it up with the steam Jenny tomorrow so I am sure alot of my neighbors who farm/collect tractors/trucks will be by to put their two cents in.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote