The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
krebsatm02

New to 69-72 blazers, few questions...

I've been wheeling a 88 K5 for a couple years now, but decided it's too big and I'm in the slow process of building a full tube rock buggy. I'm now left with my old K5 that is not friendly to drive on the street and too heavy for me to tow with my current truck.

So, I'm planning on taking the drivetrain from my current blazer and swapping it into a 69-72. TBI GM crate 350 with ~15,000 miles, SM465, NP208, dana 60, 14 bolt.

I'm building this for a daily driver/very mild wheeling/light towing.

Now for the questions...

Are the steering boxes the same? Can I swap out my sector shaft or the entire box to the older frame for crossover?

I know the rear springs are the same lenght, what is the difference in the front?

If it doesn't have AC how hard is it to convert it to AC? Different dash, blower motor?

I've found a body and frame for $500, all the info I have at the moment is it has some rust on the floor pans. From reading it seems like this is the tip of the iceburg.

What is the main thing I should look for when it comes to rust? I'd rather start off with a good body. I've never done body work, but I've repaired interior panes on my current K5. I cut out the entire section behind the rear wheel wells and spliced in a new section. I also repaired the floors.

I'm not sure how much is left in the engine compartment. Would would bolt up?

brake booster and master cylinder bolt up?
radiator/condensor?
anything else?

Looking forward to starting on this project if this body is decent.

Thanks - Doug
krebsatm02 is offline   Reply With Quote