The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

What a nightmare!!!!

I have been installing a Big Block 402 in this hienze 57, 71 chevy truck and here are some of the things you find out that have been done to a truck over the years..... I thing that longhorn man's dope smoking old man has owned this truck previously....LOL
I struck an agreement with a customer of mine to pull his small block 350 out of his supposed 71 Chevy SWB truck and install a big block 402 into it. Here is what I discovered about his truck:
1) This 71 Chevy is setting on a 67 frame!
2) This 67 frame has a 73 or later front disk brake system and crossmember! You know 67 frames are different than 68-72 and are not set up for BB.
3) This truck has a 67-69 rear end with 71-72 axles and 75 or 76 finned brake drums..
4) This truck has a 68 left front fender!
5) It has a 67 right front fender.
6) It had a V-8 set in the 6 cylender possition.
This truck has a 90 or so sportside bed..
The only thing 71 on it is the cab!
I could probly go on for hours, but you get my point.
Some good things to be said are that many years are either interchangeable or are with minor surgery..LOL
Well I have added to this truck's pedigree by shoehorning a 72 Big Block 402 out of a GMC!..Hahaha!!
Everything had been Mickey Moused in the truck previously, but after much frustration and hair pulling it is almost ready to send to it's owner!! Tomorrow it should be finaly done... It has only taken me a weak!! Every time I turned arround I had to either modify the truck to accept what I was doing, or fix something someone else messed up.
What is the point of this post.. Well fist off be carefull of what you perchase and reserch it if at all possible. Second point... I'm venting!!! LOL 3rd point, No matter how bad the situation gets, you can fix it!!!! Just put your mind to it and don't let the road blocks get in the way!! WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote