The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
lile

Question Alternator conversion question

Hi all,

I've got a question for the electrical gurus about a 10dn to 12si alternator swap. Everything I've read indicates on the regulator connector jumper F to 4 (16DBL to 16BRN) leave 2 and 3 (R and W) disconnected. On the alternator tie terminal 2 to BATT and terminal 1 to 16DBL from the 10dn harness, which is jumpered to the F (16BRN) at the regulator connector. Connect the charging wire 12R to BATT, discard the old relay wire (16W) and either discard the ground (12B) or ground it to the alternator case. Discard the old regulator.

A fairly big deal is made about not eliminating the 16BRN->16DBL->1 connection because it goes to the "generator idiot light" and therfore energizes the field so if it's disconnected the alternator will never start charging.

I can't find my "idiot light", maybe that's freudian. I've got a guage dash - speedo, ammeter, temp, oil pres, fuel. The indicator lights are high beam, brake, temp and L&R directionals. I don't think my ammeter is working, never moves, is that going to be a problem? The VIN is CE140Z14xxxx, if that helps.

Any clues? Is my new alt going to charge? Where should the "idiot light" be in the cluster?

Thanks!

--
Larry
lile is offline   Reply With Quote